Our house…in the middle of our street….Posted: March 26, 2012 | |
I thought it would be a good idea to give my readers some practical, easy, and inexpensive ideas for their home by using my current house as an example. But, don’t worry! These aren’t going to be more “boring, same old same old, look what I did” postings! So, keep on reading…I bet you will find my ideas worthwhile! The “before” photos were given to me courtesy of Laurie Reinsmith with Prudential Gary Greene Realtors. She was the listing agent of the house when we purchased it, and I was in such a sleep deprived state at the time with my twins, that I didn’t have the common sense to take photos before we moved into our home. (Embarrassing tidbit to admit since I always advise my clients to take before and after shots). Today, I am going to chat about the front exterior of a home as it is always important. It is the first impression your guests have of “who lives here” and as the saying goes…You only have a few seconds to make a first impression!
Here is what was positive and unique about the charmer you see in the above photo: It has a tin (aluminum type) roof which resemble wooden shingles. You just don’t see this application that often anymore. For me, it was love at first sight. The house is entirely made of brick and painted a cream color that I could easily keep in place without the added expense of repainting. The original landscaping was charming, and between that and the roof it had a “French flair” that I thought I could enhance.
The first step in achieving our current look was to take black paint and accent the moulding and iron work on the house. You really can’t see the moulding or the iron details on the home in the “before” photo.
I removed all the interior blinds in the home and installed woven window coverings. The ones in my living and dining room are not lined, so you can see the pretty material from the outside. The windows on the left of the house are bedrooms and those woven window coverings are lined with white cotton.
The frames of all the exterior and interior windows were original to the home and aluminum. We painted these black to match the trim and make the outside “pop” a bit more. This is an inexpensive cosmetic solution to replacing windows. (I will explain this process in another posting, but it is fair to say that my husband and Dad are both saints for humoring me and undertaking this project).
The next step was to remove the lovely (insert sarcasm here) wooden 1970’s era numbers on the front of house and repaint the door. The door had beautiful and original brass fixtures and I just couldn’t part with them, as they add to that French charm I was trying to achieve. Here is a before photo of the door:
Below is a photo of updated front door:
I then replaced the wooden numbers on house with brass ones and placed them on the bottom of front door. I added a wrought iron scrolled door mat and some flowers to entry way that were set in “French” baskets. I completed the front entry with two charming concrete lions that were spray painted black and whimsically greet the guests when they arrive.
To complete the look, I found two antique concrete flower pots and didn’t alter their natural patina as it gave the containers some interest. We placed these along each side of our circular driveway.
Fun “French” and Fabulous home today: